I'm back!

Greetings. I have not written anything for a long time. I will soon be up and writing again, but without a promised agenda for this blog. I am catching up on my journey through the Bible by listening in the car on tape (and online), but it was unrealistic to think I would journal about that regularly – too much else to do.

One thing about listening to the Bible is that every verse and every part of the Bible has equal weight. When I read the Bible on my own, I tend to focus in on the New Testament, or when I read the Old Testament, I focus on key stories, prophets, and Psalms. Listening forces me to hear it all – even the parts I'd rather skip or skim.

Just today I was listening to lengthy descriptions of ritual sacrifice in Exodus. Now, animal sacrifice is not a part of my religious faith or practice, but it is a part of the background, the pre-history, of the Christian faith and of all modern religions. When I preside at the Lord's Supper tomorrow, I am NOT sacrificing anything. Christ sacrificed himself once and for all on the cross; we do not reenact that sacrifice. Still, the OT background of sacrifice does illuminate or foreshadow the meaning of Christ's sacrifice, and it also raises the question for us today: What are we to sacrifice for God today? A sacrifice of the heart? A sacrifice of obedience? A sacrifice of faith?

As the season of Lent approaches, I am planning to write regularly. That will be my Lenten discipline this year. God be with you. Eric

Here is an update: a draft of my sermon for today, Transfiguration Sunday. Please give feedback

Comments

Popular Posts