The Daily Texts for 2005

Happy New Year! (excerpted from an e-mail I sent to friends today):

This is Eric. Here's something I am doing this year-- reading through the Bible (see my website for a reading schedule), and reading the Moravian Daily Texts -- they have an Older and a Newer Testament verse for each day of the year, which you can get for free via email

For centuries, the Moravian Church has chosen one Older Testament and one Newer Testament verse for each day of the year, so that millions of people around the world meditate on and pray around the same texts each day. You can sign up for a free daily e-mail of the daily text with this link, or you can view the daily text at this link.

Anyway, here is a proposal that I am just throwing out there to you. I know my blog is pretty lame, and my website is even worse (it will get redone in a more flexible format- hopefully - in the next couple weeks when I have time). But, selfishly, I know that if I have a commitment to write something regularly about the Bible and the daily texts, I will more likely stick with it, learn something, and have fun doing it. I enjoy reading, I enjoy reading the Bible, but lately I have been reading it mostly for practical purposes rather than for the pleasure and pain of a relationship with the Author.

So, I am going to read the Bible, as well as read and pray the Daily Texts. I'm not trying to be preachy or anything, but I want to invite you to join me if and when you wish to. You can read through the Bible, or just read the Daily verses, or just check in on my blog.

I do not promise to write everyday, nor do I promise to be profound or deep or anything other than who I am. But I will write as often as I can, and I invite you to share your own comments. Even if you do not call yourself a Christian, there is a lot to wrestle with in the Bible--it is truly one of the world's Great Books.

I hope to hear from you. Please do not feel guilted into anything here, but feel welcomed to an extended conversation, into which you may drop at anytime.

Sincerely, Eric

Comments

Popular Posts